- Cleansing - I don't need deep cleansing, I need mild cleansing.
- Foaming - I don't want something really foamy on my face.
- Good rinse-off - I want it to come off easily and nicely.
- Non-drying for my skin - I want it to leave my skin moisturized and conditioned
- Mildness - Any ingredients I can add for mildness is a good thing.
So what surfactants and other ingredients could I use here?
- LSB sounds like a good choice. It's mild and it contains a sulfosuccinate, which is a gentle degreaser.
- Plantapon 2000 would be another good choice if I can get the pH right.
- Amphosol CG is always good because it adds mildness to the mixture.
- A hydrolyzed protein would be a good film former and moisturizer.
- Aloe vera would be good for soothing my skin if it is inflamed.
- A hydrosol like lavender would be great for my skin, and it would add a slight hint of fragrance
- Panthenol helps with cell regeneration, so another good choice.
- Crothix is an anti-irritant, so I'm going to add that to the mix.
- A humectant would be nice. I could go with sodium lactate at 2% to help with my acne or 2% glycerin to thicken. I think I'm going with sodium lactate for my acne. (And sodium lactate can be a nice exfoliant and can help increase or maintain ceremides.)
- An extract would be nice...I think chamomile for soothing and honeysuckle for acne. You could add some clay to this mixture - it is going to fall to the bottom of the bottle, so you'll have to be prepared to shake it regularly, but green clay is nice for oily skin and glacial clay is great for aging skin. (It's very annoying to have both!!!)
In other creations, I'm using 40 to 50% surfactants as I want lots of bubbles (bubble bath) or lather (body wash), but I want low lather and good cleansing here, so I'm going to use no more than 30% surfactants.
20% LSB or BSB surfactant (I like LSB for degreasing, use BSB if you have normal or dry skin)
10% Amphosol CG
10% aloe vera or other hydrosol
2% cromoist, hydrolyzed oat protein
2% sodium lactate or glycerin
0.5% chamomile extract
0.5% honeysuckle extract
0.5% Germall Plus preservative or 1.0% Germaben II preservative
up to 2% Crothix
Blend the LSB and Amphosol CG together until well blended. Add the water and aloe vera or hydrosol into the mixture and mix until well blended. Now add the other ingredients, except for the Crothix. Put a little warm water into a small cup and mix the extracts together before adding. Allow to sit for about an hour and check the viscosity. You will want to add at least 1% Crothix to this mixture as it is a good anti-irritant. If you wish it to be thicker, you can add another 1% for a total of 2% Crothix to this mixture. Allow the bubbles to settle, then package. A pump bottle is great for this cleanser.
If you want to increase the amount of aloe vera or hydrosol, remove an equal amount of water from this recipe. You can add other extracts - cucumber, green tea, etc. - but please read the information on those extracts before deciding to combine them. Please do not leave out the preservative in this recipe as there are many botanical ingredients that need preserving. Finally, as there are many essential oils that are great for your facial skin, consider researching this topic and finding one you feel would be great for you. Keep the amount below 1% of the total weight of the recipe. You will want to add up to 1% (an equal amount) of polysorbate 20 emulsifier to the oil before adding, to keep the mixture emulsified.
As a final note, you could increase the water in this recipe and use it in a foamer bottle. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to in the next few weeks!
After washing, don't forget to use your new facial toner!
Join me tomorrow for creating your own shampoo!