Friday, September 4, 2009

Lipsticks: Modifying lip balms - adding Ronaspheres

If you joined me yesterday, you'll remember I was on a quest to make a Tutti Fruiti lipstick, but found it was too draggy with the titanium dioxide alone. What will make my lipstick less draggy? Ronaspheres! I added it at 6%, which worked out to 1 cc for this mixture.

Tutti Fruiti matte
1 tbsp lip balm base
2 cc colour
3 sc titanium dioxide
1 cc ronaspheres

As you can see, the colour has changed a lot by adding the titanium dioxide, making it lighter and more opaque. I like it, but I'm getting more of a dusty pink than a tutti fruiti out of it. Next time, I'm going straight for the Ronaspheres, rather than adding the titanium dioxide. (I'll use titanium dioxide in other blends, just not this colour!)

Let's try another colour, leaving out the titanium dioxide but adding the Ronaspheres.

1 cc creamsicle iron oxide (from
2 cc petal pink mica (from Voyageur)
1 cc ruby mica (from Suds & Scents)
1 cc merlot mica (from Brambleberry)
1/3 cc Ronaspheres (from Voyageur)
1 tbsp classic base

I will be posting the classic base later this week - it's a different kind of lipstick base entirely that has far more grip and isn't as shiny. I'm still not sure if I like it...

Originally I was going for a pearly pink here - as evidenced by the writing on the swatches - but it slowly became a dusty rose, a colour I wanted but didn't expect!

I chose the creamsicle iron oxide because I had it lying around and I thought it might give me some staying power and depth. I added the Ronaspheres for slip and glide and to give me some whiteness. And I used the classic base because I ran out of lip balm base.

Here's the evolution of this colour...

As you can see, I started with the creamsicle and petal pink - a colour I was originally calling pearly pink - but it was just a little too girly pink for my taste. I added the ruby mica and got a really nice pink colour. You could stop here and add your fillers and be done, but no...I had to keep going and add the merlot mica. I liked it as it gave it a little more deep colour to it. I added the Ronaspheres (you could use sericite mica or boron nitride here for a bit whiter colour or bismuth oxychloride for some pearl) then added to the classic base.

Again, I like this one. I don't have to worry about clumps of titanium dioxide - because I didn't use it - and it is giving me more coverage than the lip balm base alone. I would like it a little shinier, so I think I'll play with some boron nitride tomorrow!


Petra said...

Do you have a supplier for the ronaspheres? You mentioned in an earlier blog that they were slightly more expensive at around $8/ounce (if I remember correctly). The only supplier I have been able to find - From Nature with Love - is selling them for $52.48/ounce - a bit steep!

Great Blog!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

I usually shop at Voyageur Soap & Candle in Surrey, B.C. They're local to me and they give me discounts for supplies for my craft groups. Click on the link to see their Ronasphere prices. $8.25 for 1 ounce; $14.25 for 2 ounces; $26.80 for 4 ounces.

The nice thing about Ronaspheres is you really don't need much. I bought an ounce a while ago, and even with all my experimenting I had enough to share a little baggie with one of my craft group youth! You can try using Micronospheres in their place - they aren't great in emulsified products, but if you have some lying around, it's worth trying!